By Kevin Avery, BRITISH COUNCIL TEACHER
Imagine that you are learning how to perform a new physical skill such as riding a bike or dancing a certain style of dance.
In which way would you learn this skill the best?
- Looking at pictures of people performing the skill.
- Listening to an expert explain how to do the task.
- Reading about how to perform the task in a book.
- Watching someone else perform the skill and then trying it yourself.
This month we will be looking at learning styles.
Learning styles are a popular concept in psychology and education can identify how people learn best.
You can find out your learning style using the questionnaire below, and this can really help your learning.
There are four learning styles which can show how you like to learn.
1. Visual learners (learning from pictures, movies, diagrams)
2. Auditory learners (learning from music, discussion, lectures)
3. Reading / writing learners (learning from making lists, reading textbooks, taking notes)
4. Kinesthetic learners (learning from movement, experiments, hands-on activities)